What a Week–Here Comes the Son

What a week. Henry’s due date is fast approaching and we still have a couple things left to do. On Sunday we replaced the garbage disposal under the kitchen sink. That went off without a hitch and finally gave me an excuse to throw away half of the crap in the cabinets. (We can’t be the only ones with far too many vases, can we? Annoying)

On Monday Jaime had another level II ultrasound scheduled because the baby seems to be quite large, and the ultrasound basically confirmed that. The baby’s abdomen measured in the 99th percentile. With that comes large collar bones and shoulders which can be hard to birth. Stephen behaved very badly during all of this.

On Wednesday, Stephen and I had lunch with a friend of mine. We went to the Backyard Grill, which Jaime and I have been meaning to go to ever since it opened. My food was really good and any place that dumps SeasonAll on their french fries is okay in my book.

Wednesday night was our interview with the Fat Man. It went all right. It was fun having a lot of my family members from up and down the east coast listening live. I was a little annoyed/frustrated at the time because Steve was mostly chatting on facebook (you can hear incessant typing at some points) and trying to interject whatever awful zingers people were feeding him. Also, by the end I couldn’t get a word in edgewise. But when I listen to the recording, I realize that it was mostly paranoia and we did pretty well. The interview definitely needed more Evan though.

It can be heard here on the earsauce news/mentions page.

The interview went late (until 11pm) and I had a hard time going to sleep after that. We met up at Steve’s office so we could be on landlines and be able to see each other during the interview. On Thursday, everyone at Jaime’s work threw a baby shower for her. She had to leave straight from that and go to the (now-weekly) appointment with the OB. Her car was completely full of presents, decorations and balloons. We met her there to discuss possible birthing options with the Doc.

Then we came home and unloaded the car. Our living room is completely full of baby clothing, balloons, and gift bags. Just when we get on top of things, we get assaulted by the kindness of others AGAIN. Leave it to me to complain about free stuff, hehe. The big present that she got from her bosses was a double stroller, which we are quite thankful for. Those things are hundreds of dollars!

Last night was the Leon Redbone concert at The Barns (a small performance space within the Wolf Trap Center for Performing Arts that seats 382). I’m not much of a concert-goer, but I have a strange obsession with seeing Leon Redbone. I have seen him over ten times. I lost count several shows ago. Now, the last time I went was with a group of 5 or 6 at the Birchmere. That night was an “off” night. He did several songs twice within the same set (very strange), and there was a lot of awkward silence…. more than usual, let’s say. It actually made me reconsider going to see him every time he’s in town. But Jaime got me two tickets for Christmas and last night was the night. The Barns is my favorite venue around here and we sat right in the middle of the balcony.

The show last night was great. Leon was lucid (unlike last time) and it was a really good set list. It’s the only time I’ve ever seen him that you could easily understand everything he said (maybe he was sober?). He explained the history of a lot of the songs/artists he was covering, which is something I enjoy. He did about 50% fast songs, when usually he only does 1 or 2 in a night. The slow songs are nice too, but his guitar work on the fast-paced stuff is always quite impressive. I’m going to be 30 in May, and a Leon Redbone concert is one of the only places I can go and still be the youngest person there by about 20 years.

(I love parentheses more than anyone I know)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Leave a Reply